San Diego January 2007

Monday, January 15, 2007

Day 3

Not much time to write about day 3 this morning. I went to TNNA in the morning for a couple of meetings, we stopped at Balboa Park for a quick look at a couple of museums, and then we headed up to Escondido for a party with some old friends. It was terrific, and I'll write more about it tomorrow. I didn't bring my camera, but my friend Rich brought his and took tons of pictures, so I'll post more after I have some photos to add.

A year or so ago, I read the book Oaxaca Journal by Oliver Sacks. I loved this book for two reasons. One, it made me want to get off my lazy ass and do some interesting things with interesting people. Don't get me wrong, I totally love my life and friends in Colorado, but with Dom's very very early hours at work and my work-at-home job, we don't get out much. And Sacks gave me the bug to get out again. The second reason I loved this book is that it sounded like something I would/could write. I tend to hate everything I write, and generally feel like I'll never be a very good writer. I also tend to love everything Oliver Sacks writes, and generally feel like he is a great writer. So to read a journal that he wrote and realize that it sounds incredibly similar to my own journal writing was a punch in the arm. (Is that the right figure of speech? One thing we were talking about last night is how we rarely use the figures of speech that our parents and grandparents used any more.) So, if Oliver Sacks writes journals that sound like my journals, maybe I can write books that are as good as his books.

And I said all that to say this, the only way Oliver Sacks could write a journal that was meaty enough to turn into a book after a 10 day trip is because he is single. He must spend all of his free time writing. I, on the other hand, spend my free time with Dom, talking, and doing, well, other stuff besides writing.

That's it for now. More about our actual trip later. Today we are going to the zoo.

P.S. Please disregard the preponderance of typos on this travel blog. We brought our tiny 1-1/2 lb Sony Vaio Picturebook instead of our fullsized laptops and I am SO not used to this mini keyboard any more. I don't spend time proofing or correcting spelling on blogs when I travel, either!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home